Monday, August 28, 2006

tigerbeat refugees...

Matmos - The Rose Has Teeth In The Mouth Of A Beast
Ten audio portraits of mainly literary influences of the Matmos duo played using there usual strict sampling rules. For example the title track uses rose, teeth and manure as percussion elements (how I have no idea!) set to spoken word excerpts of Ludwig Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations - pop music this is not. I think the Pitchfork review summed the album up best describing it as a colletion of experiments resulting in frenetic dance tracks doubling as reading lists.

MP3: Roses and Teeth for Ludwig Wittgenstein

Cex - Know Doubt
I've always found Cex a bit annoying, he started off doing some very promising IDM-esque electronica (must not complare to Aphex Twin!), then went downhill a bit with some more hip-hop influenced stuff, came back with the Being Ridden album and it's slightly superior instrumental companion piece, and then went all Linkin Park on the Maryland Mansion CD (which I loved). I'm not sure about now, I'm vaguely dissatified by this EP - I think the thing that has always annoyed me about him is the way that I know he has a blinder of an album buried deep down there somewhere, I just haven't heard it yet.

MP3: Contains It

Kid606 - Pretty Girls Make Raves
Sort of traditional squelchy rave based CD from Mr Depedro. I hate to say it, but it's a bit dull in places - I've heard he's started playing with a band nowadays, I must say I'm far more interested in hearing how this turns out.

MP3: Let it Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment