Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A new addiction - what could possibly go wrong?

Over the last few months, despite the steady stream of sulking, procrastinating and general stagnation, I've been slowly and surely downsizing my CD collection. Part of me is using the 'de-cluttering exercise as a means towards content' as an excuse, although personally I think my subconscious is up to something more serious...

So, what's the first thing to do after clearing up a ton of physical space by digitizing the CDs I may listen to again and selling most of the others?


That's right! I buy a record player and start collecting music on an even more bulky and awkward to store format.


The first fruits of this new obsession can be seen above, let's have a look at them in more detail.

Wolves in the Throne Room - Live at Roadburn 2008


This is a live recording of the excellent 'Black Metal'-esque band (or, as has been pointed out by other more informed sites, due to there pro-environment leanings they could be described as 'Brown Metal'-esque) Wolves in the Throne Room from last years Roadburn festival. Two sides of vinyl and a DVD with some extra music all excellently recorded and well worth tracking down.

Nadja/A Storm of Light - Primitive North


I've mentioned this before and in the flesh it's even nicer to own. Two bits of lovely blood-moon coloured vinyl one of which features a beautiful etching and a CD containing all the music so I can fetishize the vinyl properly by keeping it virginal, pure and unplayed.

Everlovely Lightningheart - Sien Weal Tallion Rue


There are two things I'll never understand about this band: first is why they insist on releasing such limited quantities of their music, and second is what they were doing on a heavy metal label like Hydrahead. Anyway, this is their final album - one of the grand total of 300 produced. I've got the 'purple puke' coloured version, along with a meat-based doily collage, a couple of badges and a bit of cloth with unspecified stain (oh yes!). The music has a very much 'geographical' feel, by that I mean the atmosphere created by the songs definitely puts me in mind of landscapes such as the one pictured in the gatefold. Not that the music is particularly static when invoking talk of geography - there is a definite feeling of traveling associated with each track as the musicians subtly shift melodies and instrumentation. BTW Yes I am aware this sounds like bollocks but I'm not a very eloquent person and wanted to say something more than "it sounds nice".

Since so few people are going to hear this I feel obliged to give you a sample, so from the second disc may I present Yarrow Lophophora...

mp3: Yarrow Lophophora

I'm off now to resist the temptation to spend $200 on a Boris album - wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment