Wednesday, December 29, 2004

pre-christmas CDs



Jesu - Jesu

I've been waiting for this CD for quite some time, over three years to be more precise, that being the time since Justin Broadrick's previous band, Godflesh, last release. I have to hold my hands up here and declare myself a completely obsessive Godflesh fan, so this is going to be a very biased opinion. Jesu is a very ambitious project; layers of guitars, keyboards and vocals are mixed together to produce something almost religious in nature. This point is hammered home with titles such as Your Path to Divinity, Walk on Water and Guardian Angel. Not to say the lyrical theme is all religious, from the lyrics I can make out and the way they are delivered it's more spiritual in nature, in fact I've read one review describing it as a 'Spiritual Awakening'. As over the top as that sounds, it's pretty near the mark to me...



Subtle - Earthsick

A collection of Subtle's earlier 'season' EPs. Good stuff like the other Subtle album I bought this year, it's basically a more organic instrument driven version of the sort of things cLOUDDEAD do (not suprising as they share common members of Dose One and Jel). It tails off a bit to the end though with instrumental improvised sounding tracks which frankly are a little dull, but if you ignore these it's a good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment