Friday, January 27, 2006

it's not ambient...

Final - 3

The best one word description of the sort of music Justin Broadrick produces as Final I can think of is 'beatless'. It's a very practical description, it in no way comes close to giving the range and depth of sounds and emotions spread across these two discs any sort of meaning, but it's a damn sight better than calling it ambient. For anyone unfamiliar with Final and wanting a better reference point than my one word description, think Fennesz with less glitch, maybe a hint of Biosphere, think of some of the Swans more drone based recordings, and then if your feeling imaginative think of the sort of orchestra that is happy playing modern minimal classical music. If that doesn't help listen to the MP3. If possible listen to it very loud, in the dark... you need to completely imerse yourself in this sort of music.

MP3: Hollow

Kid 606 - Done with the Scene
The thing I like about being a fan of Kid 606 is the little suprises, the way his music is constantly evolving, I like that. This EP consists of a song from his recent Resilince LP, along with a handful of rather good remixes (the bravecaptain remix being especially good), and then a really strange cover version of Heartbeat by Annie. When I say strange, I mean it has instruments which sound like they're not coming straight from a laptop. And there is even some singing, although coming from someone who once released a song called Sometimes I Thank God I Can't Sing Because Then No One Can Blame Me For Anything, his vocals could maybe do with some work. I'm still rather intrigued by it and quite look forward to hearing some more of this 'post-laptop' material of his.

MP3: Heartbeat (radio edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment