Tuesday, March 28, 2006

a month overdue...

Domino 06
Nice little freebie from The Wire, lot's of good stuff from bands like Coldcut, Battles, Sunn0))) - plus it's got this particularly extraordinary version of Windowlicker by Maxence Cyrin which I'm sure Aphex Twin fans will appreciate.

MP3: Windowlicker

Boris - Sound track from film "mabuta no ura"
Odd, but beautifully packaged CD of the sound track to a film that doesn't exist. It's nothing like the previous Boris album I got, this one is mainly solo guitar pieces, amplifier hum and a few tracks that are very rhythmic and tribal - not entirely sure it works for me.

MP3: the meddle of stairs

Razor X Productions - Killing Sound
New album from The Bug finds him on fine form, I'm pretty sure if you played this sort of music loud enough it could be categorized as weaponry. Comes with an extra CD of Dub mixes - righteous!

MP3: Boom Boom Claat

Teledubgnosis vs N.I.C.
Double CD from two dub influenced bands Teledubgnosis and Necessary Intergalactic Cooperation linked by the common strand of drummer Ted Parsons (who I know from Swans, Godflesh and Jesu). What interests me about this release though are the two Justin Broadrick remixes, one viscous beat driven one from his JK Flesh pseudonym, and a lovely dubby number credited as a Jesu Remix.

MP3: Materialismo (Jesu remix)

Sunn0))) - Flight of the Behemoth
Bass, drone, doom, Metallica cover, Merzbow remixes - Yes!!!

MP3: F.W.T.B.T

Liars - Drums not dead
This is clearly a good album, although I have to confess I really haven't got to grips with it. Possibly because I was expecting a fairly straight forward indie albums, this is far more 'avant-garde' in nature. A concept album about two characters called Drum and Mt. Heart Attack; plenty of noise, lot's of drums, odd falsetto vocals, and three extra visual versions of the album if you get the CD with the extra DVD.

MP3: Let's Not Wrestle Mt. Heart Attack

Mogwai - Mr Beast
Easily the most focused Mogwai album yet, as mentioned in about a million other reviews they've been pretty ruthless when it comes to song lengths although none of the songs suffer because of this in my opinion (Dear Pitchfork, you are wrong, Love Phil). It's possibly one of the most 'metal' Mogwai albums too, songs such as Glasgow Mega Snake and We're Know Here can out metal the likes of Isis quite easily, I'm quite proud that I've been asked a couple of times to turn my headphones down at work when listening to songs like these on full whack. There are a few slower gentler numbers which slow things down a little too much at times, but as mentioned before this is a short album so these songs never have time to drag things down. On a final big plus note, this album contains a song called Travel is Dangerous which in my opinion is worth the entry price alone.

MP3: Travel Is Dangerous

No comments:

Post a Comment