Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Best Albums of 2008

2008? Remember that one? Still trying to cling on to it? I certainly am...

Anyway, here is my list of albums/EPs/whatever that were released in 2008 and which are well worth your time in my opinion. This list is culled from my last.fm charts over the last 12 months with some editorialising to make sure certain albums got a special mention

Boris - Smile - Live at Wolf Creek
Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
Ascend - Ample Fire Within
Helms Alee - Night Terror
Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Like, Love, Lust & The Open Halls Of The Soul
Jesu - Battle of Mice Split EP
Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Sunn 0))) - Dømkirke
Nadja - Thaumogenesis + Thaumoradiance

It's been a very noisy year...

Some notes:
  • This was going to be a much longer post with reasons why each release was included. However, I kept changing my mind and judging by the rate I was writing it would have been around April when I finished.
  • Boris managed to release Smile 3 times this year, the live version is the best IMHO as they clearly allowed the songs to evolve over time.
  • Jesse Sykes sneaks in here as I think the CD technically came out in 2007, but the vinyl was released in 2008.
  • Sigur Rós win the prize for most expensive album I've ever brought (it comes with a very nice book of photos - one of which I'm using as the background on this site)
  • Sunn 0))) are in the list grudgingly as they refuse to release this album digitally and hence I wasn't able to get a legal version.
  • I've included nice legal links to places where you can download/purchase these releases. My general rule nowadays for guilt free purchasing is: first choice - emusic, second choice - get it from the band, third choice - get it from the bands label, forth choice - amazon
    ... or bleep, or conspiracy
  • Best bet if you want to go down the illegal route is here

No comments:

Post a Comment