Wednesday, June 18, 2003

taking the piss...?



AFX - Smojphace EP

Another piss take from The Aphex twin - I kind of wish he'd stop doing this. Three tracks on this EP, the first one is a remix of The Bug's 'Run the place red' which is excellent - the basic feel of the track is kept in place but the hyperactivity is turned up a fair few notches, the second two tracks are shite. Titled Ktpa1 and Ktpa2 they are basically the sound of the Aphex Twin wanking over one of his home made synths. Don't get me wrong I like a bit of noise in my music, Mogwai do it beautifully, I can totally appreciate the stuff Fushitsusha does (even though I've only got a couple of his tracks), and some of the Jazz stuff I've got can descend into what could be defined as noise (I've got this John Coltrane live CD which due to the low quality of the recording can get pretty chaotic) - but this is just boring and dull. Maybe if he'd stuck to one short track it would have raised a grin, but two is just stretching my patience a little too much... Still as I've mentioned the first track is really good, even if technically it isn't his.

No comments:

Post a Comment