Monday, December 15, 2003

I lied, there's still more...



Diverse - One a.m.

You wait for age for one RJD2 produced hip-hop CD to come along, and two come along at once. OK, there is some help from Prefuse 73 and Madlib, but essentially it's RJD2 on the beats. As such I can't help but compare it with the Soul Position album, so how does it stand? Well, erm in second place basically - I can't quite put my finger on it, but I guess the main thing is Diverse's delivery and rhymes just don't appeal to me as much as Blueprint, and it almost seems that RJD2 has turned the funk down a notch or two. Madlib and Prefuse have some interesting backing tracks, but not quite interesting enough to lift it above the Soul Position... I'm making this sound like a terrible album, it's not - it's a damn fine Hip-Hop album, just maybe a little too workman-like?

No comments:

Post a Comment