Sunday, December 28, 2003

late comers...



Netmage 04

Another freebie from my Wire subscription - nothing that interesting to report, the usual ambient-esque glitchy electro nonsense. Probably best listened to when not entirely conscious.



Diamanda Galas - La Serpenta Canta

Ms Galas has always been someone I've been aware of, but I've never actually heard any of her stuff. I remember when I lived in Coventry and spent much of my time in a record shop called Spinadisc (now there was a shop! *sigh* happy days) always seeing a few of her discs in the EBM/Industrial section, but I was always too nervous to buy any of them. Anyway, this year she has released two double CD's, this is the quote lighter unquote one, both have been getting very good reviews. Now how scary could this be? Take one fairly stern, but kind of intriguing goth "mom", add a piano and a few blues songs. Nothing too troubling, until she opens her mouth! My god, that is what I call a voice! She can go from Screaming Jay Hawkins to operatic without breaking a sweat, she can do some perfect deep south blues wailing on tracks like "At the Dark End of the Street", but will then makes the classic "I'm so lonely I could cry" sound like it's being sung by something truly demonic. Her piano playing is pretty good too...

No comments:

Post a Comment