Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I don't like it...



The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free

Well I've tried to like it, but I just can't. It's not because of the subject matter, let's be brutally honest here: I am not the most cultured person in the world - I'll drink Stella, I'll hit the Aftershocks if the evening calls for a bit of a kick up the arse, I obsess over text messages and get annoyed when my FUCKING PHONE DOESN'T WORK. I don't even have a problem with his delivery or somewhat simplistic take on RnB (for the last time: The Street's are not garage!), to be honest I find all that quite refreshing in the over-produced/over-hyped/pop-idol world of pop music. Here's the problem I have with it: it's just not 'real'. Let me explain, the first Street's album was a fantastic collection of inner city tales where every song felt like it came from experiance (even if they didn't, they felt like it) - this album, with it's grand concept of 'A day in the life of a geezer' is just too 'fictional', every song sounds like a fake Street's track - admittedly very well put together fakes - but never the less, fake. And that is why I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment