Sunday, June 26, 2005

Haven't we heard this before?

12"/80s/2
The people behind the 80s/12" collection that I got a while ago are back with an equally excellent sequel. Once again they've compiled a 3 disc set of full on 80's overload and proto-dance music that once I put my music snobbery to one side is thoroughly enjoyable. The track I've decided to post probably exemplifies 80's remix culture to a tee: completely over the top use of samples, stretches the length of the track to breaking point, and some classic Roland synths and drum machines. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you INXS...

MP3: Need You Tonight (Liebrand 12' Mix)

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (Limited Tour Edition)

Yes I know, I already own With Teeth, there is a good reason for buying it again though. This edition comes with a bonus DVD which includes, amongst other extras, the album remixed in 5.1 dolby surround sound. So what's it like to listen to?

Well, everything is a lot more spread out, induvidual synth pad type effects that blend into the normal stereo mix now have there own space and are much easier to pick out from there own mix. It also breathes a bit of extra life into some of the simpler sounding songs such as Getting Smaller whose guitars now swirl all over the place in quite an impressive way. Is it worth buying again though? Not sure, to be honest I prefer to listen to music from my MP3 player, I like having my own portable private space to lock myself away in. With this DVD you have to make an effort and sit down to listen to it; also with my surround system, like many others I guess, theres a certain sacrifice that has been made to the midrange sound spectrum. So I guess the jury is out.

It does however give me chance to post another song from the album, for some reason I've found myself listening to Sunspots alot, not sure why. The lyrics are a bit lacking, but at the same time I keep finding myself identifying to them the most. Plus it's got some weird falsetto singing from El Rezzo and a great synth driven chorous, anyway enjoy the song - not sure how long it will be up for. (Feel free to leave a comment this time, last time I posted a song from this album I noticed that an awful lot of people downloaded it, but not one single comment!)

MP3: Sunspots

No comments:

Post a Comment