Monday, June 20, 2005

Spent most of yesterday somewhere in this big circle...


The reason? Well, along with about 60,000 other people I was there to sit in the sun, drink alcohol and watch Green Day.

It was sort of a mini festival, started off with a band called Hard Fi from Staines, West London (ahem... lads, just because Staines is inside the M25 doesn't make it London!) - they we're OK in a dubby, heavily influenced by the Clash way, thought they did a jolly good cover version of Seven Nation Army but besides that I can't remember a huge amount.

Next up was a band called Taking Back Sunday (very apt name), they we're a fairly excitable bunch of young scamps who had some reasonably entertaining banter but I can't really remember any of the songs.

Jimmy Eat World was next, I've got a bit of a soft spot for this band and there brand of Emo, however live they are pretty boring. Which is a shame as I really wanted to like them.

Finally we have Green Day. Now I'm not a fan really, my exposure to Green Day comes from bouncing around to Basketcase at University Rawwwk Nights and listening to there new album from some elses leaky headphones, but I thought they were excellent - whether you like the music or not you can't fault the showmanship, they really pulled out the stops: lots of loud pyrotechnics, some full on audience participation including getting three very nervous looking kids from the audience to replace the band. I've just got two questions, when did they get so big? and what's up with Billie Joe's voice? He sounds completely different when he speaks than when he sings.

No comments:

Post a Comment