Wednesday, June 2, 2004

I do occasionally get it wrong...



Stone Sour - Stone Sour

OK, I got a bit carried away with the new Slipknot album and thought this might be comparable - it's not... it's shit. Move along, nothing to see here.



Broken Social Scene - Beehives

I really wasn't expecting much out of this B-sides collection, but I've been pleasantly suprised by it. It's no where near as good as there 'You Forgot In It People' album, but it's going to be difficult to top that album. The best way to describe this is with the word 'amble' - it kind of ambles into the room, sits in the corner, has a bit of a sing song then ambles out. You don't really notice it while it's there, but for some inexplicable reason the sun just seems to shine a little bit more. A nice album.



Infinite Livez - Bush Meat

Extremely silly, and very British, hip-hop album from the Big Dada off shoot of Ninjatune. He raps about My Little Ponys, Lactating and *ahem* White Wee Wee - alongst side his one-eyed puppet side-kick Barry Convex. As you may guess, not the most serious album in the world. Still pretty good though.



Sunburned Hand of the Man - Rare Wood

I've heard about this band countless times in The Wire, but never had any success at purchasing any of there albums, however they've now got round to releasing one on a proper label. The last song is really good, I'd heard it from an mp3 blog before - sort of a thigh slapping, acoustic slide guitar driven, stomp-a-long. The trouble is the rest of the CD is utter shit - I do like some improvistational music, stuff like Jackie-O-Motherfucker, some of the new Spring Heel Jack material, even some pure noise artists like Kevin Drumm - but the stuff that Sunburned Hand of the Man produce on this CD just doesn't work... except for the last track.



Swans - Children of God / World of Skin

From what I can work out this is a collection consisting of the Children of God album combined with several EPs which now make up the World of Skin collection. Like the previous Swans album I purchased this is pretty heavy going due to it's length, but worth the effort - I can understand why Justin Broadrick of Godflesh rates them so highly, they really did know how to write some truly crushing songs. Also possibly the most truly gothic album I've purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment