Wednesday, June 30, 2004

long overdue...



Hope of the States - The Lost Riots

I read a few reviews of this on the internet that compared these to Mogwai (because they do loud) and Godspeed You! Black Emporer (because of the multi-instrumentation I guess). I don't think those comparisons do this band any favours, they're much more song based, if anything closer to someone like Coldplay all be it slightly louder. Anyway, what do I think of it? I like it - if there is one problem I can't quite get used to there vocalist, but I'm willing to overlook that because the tunes are so good. Top tune: 66 Sleepers to Summer



Miss Kittin - I Com

I got this after reading the gushing review on Playlouder - I can't say I'm impressed by it though. There are a couple of decent tunes (Professional Distortion and Meet Sue Be She spring to mind) but most of it just washes straight over me...



Black Eyes - Cough

What is it about bands on dischord splitting up before they've reached there prime, is Ian Mackaye such a bad boss? Anyway, second and final (boo!) album from one of the stranger bands on dischord. They mix punk with free jazz ideas using a setup that includes two vocalists (one who sounds like a 4 year old having a tantrum), two drummers, two bassists (although I believe one of them switched to saxophone) and very chaotic guitar. I think they're great and it is a crying shame they decided to call it a day. One for the more adventurous listener.



Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

A classic, so I can't critisise it - although I have to admit to preferring the older, wiser Sonic Youth...



The World of Arthur Russell

As I'm sure I've mentioned before I've been meaning to start listening to Arthur Russell's back catalogue - this seemed like as good a place to start. Interesting stuff, it features some of his disco funk work with Dinosaur L, a couple of tracks which sound like very early house music. However, the best stuff is the solo tunes where it's just Arthur Russel with his processed cello and maybe a bit of guitar - I'd really like to hear some more of that.



DJ Spooky - rhythm Science

This CD accompanies a book written by Paul Miller aka DJ Spooky about the art of mixing, and no I haven't read it yet. This CD is fairly similar to his other mix CDs in style even though he's restricted to using the contents of the Sub Rosa archive as sound sources. A good - dare I say it? hell, why not? - chill out CD.



Seeing the Unseen D.O.R. Almanac 2004

Free CD that came with the Wire, doesn't do anything for me really...



Kid606 - Who Still Kill Sound?

I can't listen to this CD without giggling, it's just so much fun! It's kind of a companion piece to his Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You, but slightly less subtle or restrained - not words usually associated to Mr 606 at the best of times. Full of manic beats, tunes that refuse to stick to the same idea for more than a nanosecond and plenty of silly songs titles (Ass Scratch Beaver anyone?). Great CD for those times in life when you just need to have a bit of a dance around.



Spring Heel Jack - Sweetness of The Water

Damn these lot are good; once again the Spring Heel Jack duo have gathered some respected jazz musicians and produced a truly original piece of music that almost defies categorisation. For this CD they've bought in trumpeter Wadada Leo Smith to join saxophonist Evan Parker - I think it makes for a more melodic album than there last few, and when a rhythm section is used it's done very subtley so there aren't as many 'jazz freak outs' as you may expect. Very very good album.



Richard X Presents His X-Factor Vol.1

OK from free jazz experimentalism we move on to Pop! Yep, I do listen to it - and I even like some of it! Especially Richard X, who seems to able to make anyone sound good, even Liberty X... I think it's down to the fact that he knows good sample when he hears one and isn't afraid to use them, and he obviously likes 80's electronic pop. Mostly good...



TV On The Radio - Staring At The Sun EP

Get the Young Liars EP (which has Staring At The Sun), the other two songs here aren't worth your time...



Passage - The Forcefield Kids

For those people who are familiar with anticon's output: this sounds like a harsher electronic version of what why? does. For everyone else it's hip-hop featuring melodic rapping (ie he sometimes sings) with sparse electronic beats and almost industrial samples. It's OK - but it reminds me a bit of that Grolsh advert, I can't help but think "Shtop! this album isn't ready yet". Still, it's probably worth keeping an eye on Passage's career.

No comments:

Post a Comment