Thursday, October 13, 2005

John Peel Day...

Celebration - S/T
I very rarely dive straight into a band without some sort of connection to another band I like. Usually I'll go via the 'band x is on the same label as band y so I must like them, or band x toured with band y - they can't be too different' route. In the case of Celebration I've gone via there singer Katrina Ford, she is credited as a singer on TV on the Radio's faultless Young Liars EP (according to Media Player anyway), I've since discovered that various member of TVotR make guest appearences so I can't go too wrong. Well it kind of worked, I quite like this album, but it's not up there with the aforementioned TV on the Radio's work - it's kind of like one of those early nineties 'Baggy' bands with each song driven by organ lines rather than guitars, but with an interesting Souxsie and the Banshees feel. The song I've gone for is one of the ones with one of the guys from TV on the Radio, about halfway through this gorgeous droning guitar sweeps in, I rather like that. Anyway, it's an interesting album.

MP3: Holiday

Why? - Elephant Eyelash

A confused album, it's from leftfield hip-hop label Anticon (although we really need to stop calling them a hip-hop label now), Media Player thinks it's folk, and the CD case has a sticker labelled 'file under rock'. I think the label is about right, it's still Why's surreal lyrics but with a slightly more personal slant, but's it's the tunes that make this album, there are some seriously catchy tunes on this disc. In fact if there is one problem it is with track 3, it's just too damn good! A real reach for the repeat button track, for your listening pleasure I give you said track.

MP3: Rubber Traits

No comments:

Post a Comment