Tuesday, September 6, 2005

I've been watching the coverage of the Mercury Prize on BBC4 tonight with some interest. Watching the performances tonight it's struck me that there are at least three albums I'm going to have to be purchasing in the near future. Forget the more rocky bands on the line-up like Maximo Park, The Magic Numbers and Hard-Fi they're OK in there own right but I can't help feel, well a bit... meh about them all.

Anyway, back to tonights show - first up: Polar Bear, a jazz band with two saxophone players, and an amazing drummer who deserved an award just for his hair. The solo between the drummer and someone using a gamepad to control samples made me prick my ears up.

The Go! Team also impressed me with there amazing energy and cheerleader routine. I'm embarrassed to say I've been meaning to pick up there album for far too long.

And finally, Anthony and the Johnsons... What a voice! I've heard him before on a leaked track from the new Coco Rosie album which sounds pretty amazing, but that performance really hit me, just stunning...

...and what do you know! He won - OK, the credit card is primed, I'm going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment