Monday, September 19, 2005

Mercury Music Prize...

Antony and the Johnsons - I am a bird now
Hmmm, OK I'm going to have to throw my hands in the air here and admit that I may have been wrong about this album winning the Mercury Music Prize. Yes there are some fantastic heart crushing songs, and he does have an amazing voice (basically Nina Simone, but male... and a little bit gay), but there are some other pretty hideous songs on it which sound like the sort of things Jules Holland would enjoy playing on which is 100% the reason I don't like them. Basically it's not sad enough for me.

MP3: Hope There's Someone

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning Strike
To be honest these are slightly more deserving. The Go! Team have been all over the mp3blogs for a while, and I've seen nothing but good live reviews of them. On record they mix Indie Rock, Hip Hop, with what feels like good old fashioned Motown soul - then they turn the volume on the drums up to 'bastard loud'. It's all good clean fun.

MP3: Huddle Formation

Antony and the Johnsons - Antony and the Johnsons
Not entirely sure why I bought this aswell as the Mercury Prize winning one, think I just got excited. Anyway, same contents as before apply - although this one is sllightly more melancholic.

MP3: The Atrocities

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm Remixed
Not quite the album that was nominated for the Mercury Music Prize, but pretty close. A track for track remix album with some very interesting names providing remix duties (Mogwai, Four Tet, M83). Bloc Party have never done anything for me, but I have to confess this CD is rather good - the M83 remix is especially stunning.

MP3: Pioneers (M83 remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment