Thursday, September 1, 2005

Went to see The Pixies last night. Very good it was too, they played most of the classics and a few obscure numbers I didn't recognise. I'm happy to report that Frank Black (or Black Francis) has still got that scream, and Kim Deal still makes my knees go all wobbly when she sings. Enjoyable night out.

Back to today, you may have heard of the release of something called a Playstation Portable here in Blighty. Well as an early-ish adopter of the Japanese system I thought I'd give a little buying advice...

1. Buy a screen protector - even though I'm very careful with my PSP I've managed to get a couple of tiny dents on my screen. To be honest you don't notice them when the system is on, but I still find it naggingly annoying that they are there

2. If you want a game to show off the PSP get Ridge Racer, it's blindingly fast and looks like the dog's proverbials. It's also quite good fun to play even though the first few races are far too easy.

3. If you want a game to last get WipEout Pure. It's satisfyingly hard and the downloadable content for this game is a blinding move, just when I start getting a bit bored it seems that Sony telepathically reads my mind and releases a new content pack.

4. You'll want a bigger memory card if you get Wipeout Pure, the 32MB is pretty much useless.

5. If you appreciate simple elegant game design, interesting visuals and a decent soundtrack and/or you like Tetris you'll want Lumines. If you don't agree with any of those pre-requisites then why the hell are you buying a PSP?

6. Steer clear of Ape Academy, the loading times are longer than some of the mini-games in the Japanese version, I doubt they are any quicker in the European version, and even once they do load the games are all a bit shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment