Wednesday, January 14, 2004

I'm a bit nervous about posting this since I'm bound to fuck up: I appear to be giving up smoking... gosh it's fun.



I found this chart on the ASH website:





Time since quittingBeneficial health changes that take place
20 minutesBlood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
8 hoursNicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal.
24 hoursCarbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.
48 hoursThere is no nicotine left in the body. Ability to taste and smell is greatly improved.
72 hoursBreathing becomes easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.
2 - 12 weeksCirculation improves.
3 - 9 monthsCoughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function is increased by up to 10%.
1 year Risk of a heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker.
10 yearsRisk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker.
15 yearsRisk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.




My last ciggy was Monday night, so I should be coming up to the being able to taste and smell stage - not entirely sure I'm looking forward to that, I'm sure there will be some uncomfortable questions about the cleanliness of my flat that will need to be answered.



I currently feel like shite, can't concentrate on a damn thing and my appetite has returned with a vengence - so the big question is: why am I giving up?



Good question, there are the obvious health and financial reasons - OK a bit of extra cash and less mucus in my life would be nice, but there not the overall motivating factors.



I think the main reason is this: Smoking is big, hard and very clever - but only in the context of being on stage in front of thousands of cheering fans and holding a guitar. I've finally got to admit that it is unlikely I'll ever be an international rock god...

No comments:

Post a Comment