Sunday, April 10, 2005

Book recommendation time...

This is Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland. He's written many books which I've enjoyed, my favourites being Microserfs and Hey Nostradamus! I maintain to this day that Microserfs should be read by any one in the I.T. industry before they get too jaded and bitter, and Hey Nostradmus! somehow manages to be an incredibly uplifting account of a high school shooting incident in America.

What I like about his writing is his honest and non-cynical approach to writing characters, even if sometimes his narrative flow goes a bit off. Case in point this book: it's about a lonely 40-something woman who lives by herself, who has never been married or even been in love for that matter and who is suddenly contacted by her adult son who she gave up when she was a teenager only to find he has muliple sclerosis. Not the most fun-filled premise, but somehow it's not a depressing read even if it's one of those books where nothing really happens...

Easier to read than this bloody H.P. Lovecraft book I'm also reading, honestly there is only so much wailing and moaning I can handle, even in short doses like the stories in this book.

Next on the reading list (well next book that isn't a comic book): If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment