Sunday, July 3, 2005

electronic music (best I can come up with)

Odd Nosdam - Burner
I can't decide whether this album is merely good, or an absolute classic - it's a very contrary album really. Odd Nosdam is, as those in the know will already realise, one third of cLOUDDEAD (or was one third, I'm not really sure if they split up or not). He was the non-vocal one out of that trio, concentrating on producing the majestic dreamy soundscapes that made the first cLOUDDEAD album so special. It shows on this solo album of his: it's full to the brim with lush slightly overdriven old synth sounds, long forgotten beats, and snippets of vocals that sound like someone has gone back in time to the 1950's solely to sample someone randomly flicking between TV shows. It has some moments of ambient genius, you can just lose yourself at times - I guess this is the reason I'm holding back a bit from calling it a classic, it has to be approached in one sitting to really appreciate it. However this is more a criticism of how I listen to albums nowadays, ie most of the time I'll listen to an album a few times, but then it will get lost in amongst the random play feature of my MP3 player. Shame really. Anyway, here's something for you to listen to from the album, it's got Mike Patton on vocals and it ends with this wonderfully melancholic sample of someone repeating how much they hate themselves. Yeah yeah I know, stop wallowing again Phil. pftt!

MP3: 11th Ave Freakout Pt 2

MDZ05
Drum & Bass isn't dead motherfuckers! It's just hiding. Right, here's a compilation from Goldie (so that's what he's been up to since retiring from C-List celebrity life) and his Metalheadz label. I've got a soft spot for this label, when I was at university I used to make a pilgrimage to Goldie's Club for several glorious Sundays to worship the bass lines and dance myself silly. Back when I was a young whipper-snapper that is, *sigh* I'm sooooo old! Anyway, just to let you know Drum & Bass is still going; hasn't changed much, still full of weird and wonderful sci-fi samples and bass lines you could drill through concrete with. Here's a track from Digital, about the only artist I remember from the old days.

MP3: Scam

No comments:

Post a Comment