Tuesday, July 1, 2003

Glastonbury 2003 Part 3/4 - Saturday

First up was Gemma Hayes. Charming lady, must buy her CD. Next up was something a bit special, the Sun was shining, the air was thick with the smell of something a bit 'erbal and Jimmy Cliff was on the main stage. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so happy, he was bouncing around the stage like he was 40 years younger - definitely one of those performances which will go down as a classic.



Following Jimmy would be difficult, the polyphonic spree had a go, and failed... a truly horrifying band - far too cheerful.



The next band we saw were my second must see band of the festival, Interpol. The heat must have been getting to them since the guitarists had both taken there ties off - shocking stuff! I though there bass player was a total star, he seemed more worried about his haircut than anything and spent most of the time playing his bass below knee level - good that someone brought a bit of class to the event. There was a weird moment halfway through when a whirlwind went across the audience which brought a slight distraction to an otherwise fine show.



After Interpol we hung around to watch Arthur Lee's Love, didn't do anything for me I'm afraid - a bit too hippie-ish for me.



Final band was a toss up between The Chemical Brothers and Radiohead - the thing is I missed Radiohead in '97 so I had to make an effort really. So armed with one of Croaker's special ciggys (with the intention of sparking up during pyramid song - which seemed appropriate) I went off on a mission to get to find the main stage . Anyway, I'm so glad I chose Radiohead - storming set, plenty of weird new stuff complete with gratuitus knob twiddling to keep me happy (I especially liked some of the live sampling, and the new one with what sounded like a full on ragga bass line to me), and several old songs to keep everyone else happy (but no creep...). I think I've decided that Thom Yorke wins the award for most off his head on stage award, lot's of yelping, strange grins and forgetting what song he was mean't to be playing. The walk pack to the tent was interesting cos I felt as stoned as a monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment