Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Strange things are afoot in the world of music, Jane's Addiction have a new CD out (good god!), The Pixies have been rehearsing together, apparently, and Throbbing Gristle are doing there first live performance for what looks like 23 years, at a holiday camp of all places.



OK, I expect you've heard of the first two bands up there (if not, shame on you!), but who the hell are Throbbing Gristle? Well I have to confess I don't own any of there stuff, but a good proportion of my CD collection wouldn't exist without them, someone described them as being the "ground zero of industrial music".



Enough looking backwards - onwards to the present and the Mercury Music Prize. Shockingly I don't own any of the albums on the shortlist, so it's going to be difficult to give an opinion - unlike last year when The Streets were robbed by Miss Dy-na-mi-tee-hee. I'm probably going to have to be dull and go for Radiohead, although I'm going to get the Martina Topley-Bird CD when I pop into town for lunch so opinions may change.



I just think it's a bit of a shame about how 'safe' the list is this year, OK I don't think they deserve to win it but surely Autechre deserved a nomination at least at least for just trying to challenge the whole concept of music. Spring Heel Jack could have been the token jazz entry, but I get the impression they alienate most jazz fans - a total mystery to me. And, yes I know it's a bit obscure - but find me one bad review of The Bug's Pressure CD and I'll buy you a pint... maybe,

No comments:

Post a Comment