Monday, October 18, 2004

initial thoughts on a bunch of new Cds



Donkey Konga Soundtrack

Absolutely fucking appalling even if it is a free CD. This CD comes with the latest official Nintendo magazine and showcases tunes from Nintendo's latest rythmn action game Donkey Konga. The music is horrible and has but me right off the game.



Subtle - A New Shade of White

How do I describe this? Easy, it's cLOUDDEAD doing rock music. How can I say that? Well, Subtle have 2 out of the 3 members of cLOUDDEAD in there ranks, and although they have a similar dream like quality they seem to use more live instruments which include *gasp* guitars and drums... hence the lazy cLOUDDEAD doing rock music tag from yours truly. It's damn good stuff though, it's on Warp's hip-hop off shoot Lex Records who get a thumbs up from me for releasing yet another excellent CD. Bad points? Well, I imagine that Dose One (the vocalist/MC) could get on people's nerves, he has a pretty much unique approach to vocals (ie fast, high pitched, surreal and drenched in effects) and the fact that in the line up he is credited as supplying words,throat,synth and art makes him sound like a pretentious wanker - I'll let it pass though, as the music is bang on.



Jimmy Eat World

I think this there self titled release, I could be wrong though Media Player seems to be determined to call it Bleed America, and a few people on Amazon refer to it by the same title, basically it's the one with all the sports trophies on the front cover. Anyway, after listening to the new album I thought it was time to go and hit there back catalogue. This one has got Sweetness and Salt Sweat Sugar, which if you've ever been in O'neils in Woking you will recognise. The rest of the CD seems to be much more gentle than these two songs, maybe a bit too gentle really. My top tip would be to download the two decent songs and buy the new album.



Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern

One of those albums that I kick myself for not buying in the first place. This was Mansun's debut album; it's an ambitious one, full of some seriously overblown production but at the same time some amzing songs. Highlights include Taxloss mainly for the way it somehow morphs into disco, and Wide Open Space which is worth the asking price alone.



MDZ04

I get very nostalgic about Metalheadz, I used to frequent Goldies Sunday night metalheadz club when I was at University, which considering involved over a 200 mile round trip was quite a feat. At the time the music they played seemed very futuristic, nowadays I use the word nostalgic when describing it, is that irony? I guess it could be. Anyway, back to this compilation: it does exactly what you would hope it would: it's fast, viscious and has a nasty metallic pointy bits that could easily take your eye out - and it's nice to see Photek getting back to some good old fashioned drum'n'bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment