Thursday, October 7, 2004

not a mix CD...



DJ /rupture - Special Gunpowder

I've got quite a few DJ /rupture mixes, but after a blinding start in the CD mix world with Gold Teeth Suite I've found some of his recent ones a bit 'samey' so I was a bit anxious about this first 'proper' album. I needn't have worried though, this is brilliant, there is a perfect mix between soft soulful tunes which would not be out of place on one of Massive Attack's earlier albums and some full on scary as shit noise assualts - all held together with ragga beats and arabic-esque riddims... and a bit of hip hop. The guest vocalists are really good, the ragga MCs being my favourite but he's also used poets, MCs and singers - something for everyone really. If I had to compare this CD to anyone the first one that pops into my head is The Bug's 'Pressure', but as good as his album was I think this one by DJ /rupture is better. Definitely one to own.

No comments:

Post a Comment