Sunday, August 3, 2003

far too many CD's



Unklesounds - Big Brother Is Watching

Very similar to the previous Unklesounds (who I am assuming is UNKLE - well it's pretty obvious isn't it) CD I've got, in fact quite a few of the tunes from that mix appear here. Anyway, 2 disks this time, the first is more "rocky" with tunes from Queens of the Stone Age and believe it or not Tears for Fears (who I think get mixed in with M.O.P. - I'm guessing from the very loud and angry rapping going on), there's also a bit where they mix Kraftwerk and Whitney Houston to create quite a unique effect. The second CD is a more traditional mix, mainly hard house - judging by the number of "essential" samples it may be taken from an UNKLE radio one mix. All in all a good mix album, some inspired choices of tunes and clever use of CD mixing - I'll give it 3 head nods...



Kid606 - The Illness

Being a Kid606 fan means you have to be ready for anything, pretty much all of his releases are fairly unique in style from the assault on the eardrums that is Down With The Scene to the more gentle ambient loveliness of PS I Love You. This EP showcases his forthcoming long player which I believe will be called Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You - I may be wrong there. The first track The Illness is what The Prodigy should be aiming for, I've mentioned it before in the proper blog so I won't repeat myself too much here - I'll just say it's absolutely essential. Next up is Ecstacy Motherfucker which takes it right back to the old skool, Maybe is more hip-hop than anything - it starts slow, but half way through you suddenly realise it's truly beautiful. The last two tracks are some ambient tunes, there not bad - just a bit throwaway. All in all, an excellent EP - I can't wait for the proper album.



The Angels Of Light - Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home

When I mention the most influential bands in my collection there is one group called Godflesh who I tend to be a bit too reverential towards. Now one of Godflesh's biggest influences (apparently) was a band called The Swans who I believe were doing loud depressing drone rock long before Mogwai or God Speed! You Black Emporer had recorded there first bit of feedback. Now I'm not one to look back, I've entered the Swans story very late, ie after they split up! The Angels Of Light are the band M.Gira created afterwards - very simplistic minimal songwriting, often songs end with a one or two chord refrain - these songs could be played solo on an acoustic guitar, but rather than leaving them alone layers and layers of acoustic samples have been painstakingly added to leave songs you can truly get lost in. It's not the easiest album to listen to, you need patience but it's well worth the effort.



Killing Joke - Killing Joke

Another album I've purchased because of a vague Godflesh connection - Raven was the Flesh's bass player towards the end. Anyway, like the new Metallica album this is an example of an album from a mature heavy metal band which is far heavier than anything produced by today's young upstarts. Uber back up drummer Dave Grohl handles the beats with a vengence, the guitars are heavy as fuck and Jaz Coleman sounds like a man possessed. Very good stuff if a little bit too much to handle at times... I must be getting old



S.A.Smash - Smashy Trashy

(OK I'm getting bored with this post... prepare for some short reviews) Def Jux's latest signing produce the goods. Pure filth at times and El-P produces one of his best efforts yet...



Phil Ranelin - Remixes

I bought this purely since it had a big sticker with "remixes by Prefuse 73 and El-P" I had no idea who Phil Ranelin was. Well apparently he's an old jazz trombonist. Remixes are pretty much as expected, I'm hoping El-P's is a good indication of what his new Thirsty Ear collaboration will sound like.



!!!

Rerelease of an untitled album by the unpronouncable !!!. Think Sonic Youth playing Frankie Goes To Hollywood. I really like it



Various - Open Up And Say...

Low priced compilation from Kid606's tigerbeat6 label. Very punk rock, but with laptops. Kid606 throws a spanner into his already extensive discography with a tune which has *gasp* vocals and *double gasp* almost a tune, DJ /rupture does his world music noisecore thang, Cex has a bit of a winge and the frighteningly gay (but definitely not in a friendly Graham Norton way) Zeigenbock Kopf try to scare everyone again. A very good introduction to the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment